Saturday, March 30, 2013

SNL themed 'Is this thing on?' at Gallery1988

Its that time of year again for Gallery1988 's 'Is this thing on?' themed comedy tribute show, and this time its dedicated specifically to Saturday Night Live. Granted, I havent watched the show in a good decade probably, but did watch it a lot growing up in the 90s. 
One of the funniest people to come out of the show, by far, was Eddie Murphy (nothing beats him in the 80s/early 90s), and following the piece I did for the show last year, decided to pay homage to him again. The idea of doing something 3-dimensional was appealing and this idea was the first thing I thought of trying. So I dug up my sculpey, which I probably hadnt touched in over ten years as well, and got kneading.



Notice the toothpick cigar!



I originally had conceived framing the piece slightly different, hence why he started off being half the size, but later on realized I would have to lengthen him a bit to fill out the frame, so I had to rebake new sculpey onto the already baked/painted piece. It seemed to work.


It's Gumby, Damn it!
This show also marks the first at Gallery1988's brand new location at 7308 Melrose Ave.
It will be on display there until April 20th.

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! Eddie Murphy Gumby was a great subject for this show. Really nice framing job too.

    ReplyDelete